Monday, October 3, 2011

Greek Translator/Interpreter Available






Updated as of Sept. 29, 2011
**The following is an advertisements for my Greek translation/interpretation business with my experience, qualifications and rates below**


JOHN DIMITRI KOUNTOURIS
Greek Translator/Interpreter

4920 N.  Lark Ellen Ave., Covina, CA USA  91722
Mobile: (626) 731-1596
E-mail:  xirokambi38@yahoo.com or xirokambi@gmail.com; Skype username: John Kountouris, Pasadena, CA USA



LANGUAGE SKILLS


I have my own freelance business and do Greek to English and English to Greek translation, interpreting, editing, teaching and more.  

I also know Purist Greek (Καθαρεύουσα) and Koine Greek (Κοινή) thoroughly.  I actually study the Bible in the original language (Koine) along with other ancient Greek documents dating during the time of Alexander the Great and after since the superlative Greek language (along with it’s various dialects) before that time was Attic-which I am working on (and this stuff is fun!). 

I can translate, interpret, etc.  just about and field: Business; Law; Education; Government; Technical; Medical, etc.

Overall, I have studied the Greek language from its beginning until now and how it has progressed (and digressed, unfortunately) and evolved into its present form.   I started off learning Greek by going to Greek school when I was little at our local church parish.

I consider myself an expert (γνώστης) in the field of Greek language studies (of the abovementioned Greek language evolvements) studying the language for over 13 years.

I have taken many trips to Greece to visit family and friends and learn about the culture and language more.  I am also a Greek citizen.

I also volunteer teach Greek for either family, friends, my Greek Orthodox Parish or to anyone who is serious about learning.

I am also recognized by the Greek Consulate of Los Angeles, CA as a proficient Greek speaker able to teach, translate and interpret the Greek language.


--------------------------


Non-paid Experience as a Greek Translator, Interpreter, Teacher, etc.:

I have been doing personal Greek translation, transcribing, interpreting and more for the past 5 years for my own personal edification.  I do this ALL THE TIME as a passion of mine. I also do free work for my church, family or friends whether it's translation, teaching...whatever.  

As for teaching I have given private lessons in the past.  Right now I actually am giving paid private lessons.

Paid experience as a Greek Translator, Interpreter, etc.:
July 2009 – Present - I have been publishing a religiopolitico blog, 300Sploggers.com, for a few years and I started doing it in both languages starting in 2009 on and off.  Here is a sample transcribing I did of a Greek article into English: 

http://300sploggers.blogspot.com/2011/04/greece-has-mineralgas-wealth.html
August 2010 - I translated a 15-page US Bankruptcy Court document from English into legal Greek (which is more sophisticated and ancient compared to Modern).

Company info.:

Royan F. Harris
Director of Sales & Marketing
561-792-3344 (Phone)
877-843-3330 (Toll free)
561-792-3340 (Fax)

Oct. 2010 – I translated a small text English into Ancient Greek for the following company:

Andreea Bostan, MSc, S.A.C Cert, RPSI, M.C.I.L Senior Linguist www.bostico.co.uk

Tel: 0845 388 9263
Fax: 0844 417 1631

March 2011 – I did 2 English to Greek interpretations for this company (below) in March 2011:
Linguistica International
Sustainable Language Services ®
Salt Lake (801) 262-4550
Toll Free (866) 908-5744

April 2011 – I translated a Greek school certificate from Greek into English for the following company:

Irene Flores
Project Manager
MIR Associates, Inc / Multi-Lingual Interpreter Resources

April 2011 – I did 2 translation edit jobs for DELUXE STUDIOS so far.

What I did for Deluxe Studios was: helping to go over, edit 
and finalize the Greek subtitle translations for upcoming Hollywood films. We just finished THOR and CAPTAIN AMERICA.  I will be working with them on
future Greek translation projects, too.

Deluxe is the leading worldwide provider of services to the entertainment industry in film, video and digital media.  For over 95 years they have been an integral and reliable partner for filmmakers and the Hollywood Studios.

Their info below:

Tom Lester
Theatrical Production Manager
Subtitling and Localization
DELUXE DIGITAL STUDIOS
 Phone: (818) 565-3814
BB: (818) 434-9602
Skype: tomlesterdds

and,

Screenings take place at the following studios in Burbank, CA USA: 

Technicolor and Deluxe 

April 2011 - I just finished a job for High Quality Translations doing Greek interpretation and translation of a client's will arrangement for a law firm in New York.

Their info below:

Maksym Omelchenko
Executive Director
High Quality Translations, Inc
phone: 1-888-878-1907
fax:   1-740-879-1907

April 2011 – I translated a Greek legal document from Greek into English which was for an Injunction Process before The Court of First Instances, Athens, Greece.  See info below of agency I worked for for:

Jai Translations
52, Kamaraj Street,
R.K. Nagar,
Ariyankuppam,
Pondicherry-605007,
INDIA.

He is currently in Dubai, so for any queries please kindly call at +971 50 2678390.

May 2011 – I translated a Greek death certificate and a birth certificate from Greek into English for the following company:
Irene Flores
Project Manager
MIR Associates, Inc / Multi-Lingual Interpreter Resources
1.800.545.0308
May-June 2011 - I did 6 interpretation jobs for this company (below) at Patton State Hospital, Patton, CA USA:

Contact: Sue Randolph
Executive Linguist Agency
500 S. Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 300
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
800-522-2320
fax 310-376-9285

May 2011 - I did a translation (Greek to English) of a Greek will and and a Greek notary document (12 pages) for the same company mentioned directly above

May 2011 – I translated a 3000+ word document (Greek to English) for this company below that was about guidelines and uses of certain pharmaceuticals for doctors patients in Greece:
Jai Translations
52, Kamaraj Street,
R.K. Nagar,
Ariyankuppam,
Pondicherry-605007,
INDIA.

He is currently in Dubai, so for any queries please kindly call at +971 50 2678390.

May 2011 - I did work for the company below interpreting for a Greek-speaking client in a plastic surgeon's (from UCLA) office in Beverly Hills:

Luxe Translation
8484 Wilshire Blvd Suite 220
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Phone:   310-849-3272
Toll Free:   1-888-853-5513
Fax: 1-888-790-4031
Email: info@LuxTranslation.com

June 1 - I completed a translation synopsis (Greek to English) of 600 
Greek bank statements for the following law firm in Los Angeles, CA USA:

Contact: Krystle Rendon
Paralegal
Jaffe and Clemens
433 North Camden Drive, Suite 1000, Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Office: 310.550.7477, ext. 248 |  Fax: 310.271.8313
krendon@jaffeclemens.com  | JaffeClemens.com
June - I did translation work for an agency out of London of a legal case of the 
Court of First Instance, Athens, Greece.  It was Greek to English:

info@lingvohouse.com
www.lingvohouse.com
3rd Floor, 39 Ludgate Hill
London, EC4M 7JN
United Kingdom

Tel: +44(0) 203 086 94 16
Fax: +44 (0)207 248 98 0
I still work for Executive Linguist Agency as a Greek interpreter/translator
whenever they need it:

Contact: Sue Randolph
Executive Linguist Agency
500 S. Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 300
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
800-522-2320
fax 310-376-9285
June 2011 - On the 20th of the month I did some more work for 
Technicolor in Burbank doing the final editing of the Greek 
subtitles of the upcoming movie "Transformers 3":

Contacts for this job:

Jiyoung Im
Technicolor Digital Cinema
o: 818-260-6729
c: 818-415-8321
Laura Hemadi
Theatrical Production Manager
Subtitling and Localization
DELUXE DIGITAL STUDIOS

Phone: (818) 565-4608
Cell: (818)726-4360
July 2011 - I completed a 6,000 word Company charter from Greek
into English.  The Greek was Purist (Kathareuousa) so this was more
Challenging than Modern.  It was for the company below:
WELTSPRACHEN®
all languages - around the clock!
rudolfsplatz 8, 1010 vienna, austria
phone: +43 1 958 0952, cell: +43-650-99 02 702
email: gayduk@weltsprachen.at, web: www.weltsprachen.at vat no: atu61454517
Late July 2011 - I completed a 7,000 word Company charter from Greek
into English.  The Greek was Purist (Kathareuousa).  It was for the company below:

WELTSPRACHEN®
all languages - around the clock!
rudolfsplatz 8, 1010 vienna, austria
phone: +43 1 958 0952, cell: +43-650-99 02 702
email: gayduk@weltsprachen.at, web: www.weltsprachen.at vat no: atu61454517

Late July 2011 - On the 27th of the month I did some more work for 
Technicolor/DELUXE in Burbank doing the final editing of the Greek 
subtitles of the (full) movie "CAPTAIN AMERICA":

Lance Kosher
Production Coordinator
International Dubbing & Audio

Phone: 818.565.5156

and,

Technicolor Digital Cinema
2233 N. Ontario St.
Suite 300
Burbank, CA 91504

August 2011 - In the beginning of August I translated from English to
Greek 10 documents that consisted of birth certificates, apostilles 
and accompanying Secretary of State documents with them and 
California state divorce documents for the following company:

Barry Costanian
Insurance Agent
Notary Public/Loan Signing Agent
LIVE SCAN & MORE
8685 Wilshire Blvd., #13
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Business: 310-652-0617
Cell: 310-901-5073
bcostanian@gmail.com

Sept. 2011 - I translated from English into Greek a 1,400-word toy 
advertisement script for this translation company below:

Manor Translation                    
Little Manor
Main Road
Betley
Cheshire
CW3 9AB
UK
Tel 01270 820534
Email: translate@manor translation.com

Sept. 2011 - I reviewed a bunch of Greek newspapers 
as a media analysis for the following company:

Andreea Bostan, MSc, S.A.C Cert, RPSI, M.C.I.L
Senior Linguist

Tel: 0845 388 9263
Fax: 0872 111 4840

Sept. 2011 - I am currently translating a Greek client's will, tax and other financial documents into English for a legal firm. Info of that firm can be obtained from this other firm below:

Kathy Smiley
Paralegal
Koch & Hoffman, P.A.
200 N. Garden Avenue, Suite A
Clearwater, FL  33755
Phone: 727-446-6248
Fax: 727-446-9113

For teaching Greek:

I was recently hired by The Language Door (http://www.languagedoor.com/) to teach
Modern Greek for them once a week.  I was also hired this year by The 
Pasadena Language Center to to teach Greek.
---------------------

RATES FOR BOTH MY TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING SERVICES FOR AGENCIES ONLY (NON-GOVERNMENT RATES ARE BELOW THIS SECTION)

NOTE: MY RATES ARE SUBJECT TO REVISION AT ANY TIME AS I DEEM NECESSARY.

Below are my rates for translation services for translations from Greek to English and English to Greek, written and typed and for any type of translation.  Also, for teaching Greek to English speakers:

Note: For rates in Euros, multiply the Dollar amount times the exchange rate and THAT is my Euro rate.  Here is my formula to go by: Dollar amount of the certain translation category (i.e.  $0.12/word) times the exchange rate (1/1.25 = 0.80) = My Euro rate of translation.  So, if it’s $0.12 per word and you want that in Euro, the calculation is: 0.12 ξ $0.80 = 0.096 EUROS per word.  Also, please note that the ACTUAL exchange rate for me from Euro’s into Dollars is 1/1.25 and that I am taking into consideration the big disparity between the Dollar and Euro.  


Price in USD per
Word
Page
Agreements, patents, etc
$0.12
$60
Agriculture
$0.12
$60
Automotive
$0.14
$70
Biology
$0.16
$85
Biotech
$0.16
$85
Building and Construction
$0.14
$70
Chemical industry
$0.18
$90
Computer related areas
$0.14
$70
Defense
$0.16
$85
E-commerce
$0.12
$60
Educational materials
$0.12
$60
Energy
$0.16
$85
Engineering
$0.18
$95
Financial
$0.14
$70
General text
$0.11
$55
Government
$0.12
$60
Insurance
$0.14
$70
Legal
$0.15
$80
Medical
$0.18
$95
Personal & business correspondence
$0.11
$55
Press-realeases, news, media, Hollywood
$0.18
$80
Promotional & advertising materials
$0.18
$80
Real estate industry
$0.14
$70

Note: The “page” column above reflects the rate per page for jobs of 1-9 pages; jobs of 10 or more pages will be done at the per word rate. 

Note: I may charge up to $75 an hour for any additional services. This may include: handwritten text decoding, desktop publishing, special document formatting (particularly if the document I receive is a scan) etc. Of course I'll let you know if these services will be required to complete a project.

Note: any notary services, faxing, etc. I will need to be reimbursed for.

Note: Any type of long-term project for the following fields I will leave up to the negotiation process between me and the person or company hiring me: Legal; Film; Advertising; Business; Networking and more.

Note: my minimum price for any translation request, even if it contain only 10 words, is $75 USD.

I am open to rate negotiations, though which can be discussed and/or arranged before I begin work.


Below I, also, list the rates that I charge for interpreting from Greek to English and English to Greek:


Price in USD per
One day (4+ hrs.)
1-3 hrs.
Legal Interpreting (courtroom, etc.)
$345
$175
Government business (people dealing w/ gov’t)
$260
$175
Private
$225
$150
Educational
$235
$130
Ecclesiastical
$225
$120

* For overtime I charge a flat rate across the board of $75 per each additional hour. 

Note: Work done for less than one hour I charge a flat rate of $150.

For teaching Greek:  I charge $200 per session up to 5hrs. in the day.  Anything over that I charge an extra $75 up to 6 hrs.

I am open to rate negotiations, though which can be discussed and/or arranged before I begin work.


I am a private and independent translator/interpreter with my own business in these fields.


RATES FOR BOTH MY TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING SERVICES FOR DIRECT GOVERNMENT AGENCIES (NON-PRIVATE AGENCIES)

Rates that I charge the government (Federal, State, Local) are as follows:
- Any translation having to do with ANY field (Business, Medical, Government, Law) I charge $0.18/word.

- Any type of interpreting I charge $300 for 1-3 hrs.  or less than one hour I charge $250.  For on full day I charge $500.  For overtime I charge $200 even if it's less than 1 hour.  

- For teaching Modern Greek to for any government purpose to any government worker I charge a flat flat rate of $400 per session, however long it lasts. 

LAST NOTES FOR BOTH GOVERNMENT AND NON-GOVERNMENT WORK:

Note:  I charge for mileage and wear and tear on my vehicle if I have to travel to go to any destination in order to complete work for either a client or an agency or a government agency.  Anything over 15 miles round trip and up to 80 miles round trip I charge $30.  Any thing over 80 miles round trip I charge $75.  I may require also a rental car due to my vehicle situation, and I can be provided with the cheapest one that can be provided me by the above mentioned parties I do business with.  Also, any parking fees I incur must b paid by the agency employing me for work.

Note: Payment for work will be discussed BEFORE I start work and I require payment for my services no more than 30 days from start of job.  I am open to negotiation about prices.  I usually don't ask for a percentage of payment for the work up front before I start work, but there are cases where I may do that.
Note: I receive payment for work either in cash, wire transfer, check or Paypal.  ANY and ALL Paypal or wire transfer fees are to be paid by the agency employing me.
Note: ANY and ALL unexpected fees that I may occur while doing work for any agency MUST be paid by the same.

Note for translations:  Jobs assigned to me last minute and that have a due date within 2 days MUST pay a flat rate of $0.10/word.
Note: If Client or Customer wants only to pay an hourly rate for my services in translation (including anything written or typed or for review, i.e. transcription, editing, etc.), my rate will be determined at the time of the job offer.

Certification:

I just passed the written test to become a Greek interpreter in the California Court system. 
I go for the oral exam this week or next, depending on availability.  After that I get my 
credential to be an official court interpreter.

I am also recognized by the Greek Consulate of Los Angeles, CA as a proficient Greek speaker able to teach, translate and interpret the Greek language.

I am a member of Proz.com one of the biggest translation organizations in the world (and it's all online).  As of September 29, 2011, I have been featured as the "Featured Pro" (translators that is) on the site.

I also got a certification from this big translation software company, SDL, to do Greek
translation for their company:

SDL Language Weaver Test Result
Monday, April 11, 2011 12:48 AM
From: "Anca Lostun"
To: xirokambi38@yahoo.com

Dear candidate,


We are happy to let you know that you have passed the PE 
English-Greek test and that you are now part of our team of external 
associates. You will be contacted as soon as a project that 
matches your profile is available. The project requirements and the 
payment procedures will be provided at the beginning of the project.

We are looking forward to a good collaboration.

Thank you.

SDL Language Weaver Team.

k6E11IkxWoIs-27rKftodKVuFk8wMBZgx7jJdTJsRPwnaPZmnm2c0NI1xZEkJWh_LSMlFWFBOJnoWR-T9jUaMO5QunlsAxlBl94l_QZvg3eTunq-Vf4.png 

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved. If you are not the intended recipient of this 
mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its 
contents, and we further request that you advise us. SDL PLC is a public limited company 
registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.










4 comments:

KamranAkmalMajeed said...

Thanks for this Great post. I want be a good translator.
Translation Services London

jasmin said...

This is a great and very informative post. Also, I made sure to bookmark your blog so I can come back later.
We are also offering translation and interpreting services as:
Certified translation
Legal translation services
Court interpreting

Blogger said...

Searching for the Ultimate Dating Website? Join and find your perfect date.

Blogger said...

By using RentalCars you can discover the cheapest car hires from over 49000 locations globally.